Tuesday, August 4, 2009

I have to buy something!

Not me, the Boy. Today at Target he went nuts because I wouldn't buy him a toy. He was trying to push the cart to where he wanted to go and wasn't being a good listener. The conversation went something like this:

Boy: "I need to buy something."
Dad: "Do you have any money?"
Boy: "No!"
Dad: "Then how are you going to buy something?"
Boy: "Well, you could buy something and then give it to me." (with wry smile)
Dad: "Not today."
Boy: (literally explodes)

I picked him up put him in the cart and proceeded to go checkout with him crying and screaming through the store. The interesting thing was being able to tell who had kids and who did not, anyone with kids (even if they were not there) didn't bat an eye towards us and the ones without gave the look of "What did that man do to that poor child?" or "Can't you control your son?" At least it was a nice big store so it didn't sound as loud as opposed to our house and being in a smaller room with him. He cried all the way to the car and halfway home and then realized that I was just not listening anymore. Which brings me to the thought of wishing I could get something fun for myself every time I went to a store like Best Buy, Dick's Sporting Goods, Williams Sonoma, etc. Maybe it is time to start learning chores and earning some cash for the little man.

No comments: